As an attorney and the founding member of Parrett Law LLC, Joshua M. Parrett focuses on obtaining the best results for his clients whether through trial, negotiations or settlement. He strives to be a trustworthy advocate for his clients, in and out of court.
Mr. Parrett has handled hundreds of criminal and traffic cases as a defense attorney. Mr. Parrett began focusing primarily on criminal law when he served regularly as court-appointed private counsel in Chesterfield County for indigent defendants starting in 2008. Since then, his work has covered various misdemeanors such as possession of marijuana, petit larceny and assault and battery, as well as serious felony offenses such as drug possession, armed robbery, malicious wounding, rape and murder.
Mr. Parrett takes pride in being a trial attorney, and has tried cases before judges and juries in multiple jurisdictions in Virginia. Today, his practice mainly focuses on handling criminal defense cases in the Stafford, Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania area courts; however, he has also handled criminal cases with regularity in all of the following cities and counties: Colonial Heights, Chesterfield, Henrico, Richmond, Caroline, Prince William and Westmoreland. His practice extends to both the adult and juvenile delinquency criminal courts, and he has extensive experience advocating for clients of all ages.
In addition to trial work, Mr. Parrett has noted numerous appeals to the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Virginia. Other practice experience includes divorce, custody, visitation, warrants in debt and detinue, contract disputes and landlord/tenant cases.
After receiving his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Richmond in 2004, Mr. Parrett completed his Juris Doctor at the University of Richmond’s T.C. Williams School of Law in 2007. After working as an associate with Clarke Dolph in Virginia Beach following admission to the bar, Mr. Parrett opened Parrett Law LLC in late 2008. Mr. Parrett joined the Law Offices of Anthony C. Williams as an associate in 2011. In October of 2015, Mr. Parrett decided to re-establish Parrett Law LLC, and focus his practice on criminal defense.
Mr. Parrett works hard to ensure that he stays current in the areas of law which are his focus. He is certified with the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission as a court-appointed defense attorney for misdemeanor and felony cases. He also attends the VIDC’s annual Advanced Criminal Defense workshops. In addition, Mr. Parrett is a certified guardian ad litem for children, and completes continuing education courses for various family law matters.
ADMISSIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Admitted to Virginia Bar, 2007
- Qualified Guardian ad litem for children
- Certified by the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission—misdemeanor & felony defense
- Attendee, Capital Defense Workshop (qualifying course for capital murder representation)—Fall 2014
- Member of the Fredericksburg Area Bar Association
- Board Member, Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers' Conference
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- 90% Criminal and Traffic Defense
- 10% Civil or Domestic Law
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. - 2007
- University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia
- B.A. - 2004
- Anthony C. Williams & Associates, PC, 2011-2015
- Parrett Law, LLC, Managing Member, 2008 - 2011
- Clarke, Dolph, Rapaport, Hull, & Brunick, Associate, 2007 - 2008
- Delta Kappa Epsilon (Rho Beta Chapter founding father)
- Phi Alpha Delta